Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Stress Management

One of the ways to manage stress is not to take things personally which means become detached from the situation.

Learn to stop you mind-chatters so they don't snow-ball. Learn to have a different perspective on things.

Last time, I took members through an Avatar exercise called This and That.

Instructions:
1. Pick a situation (a problem for example)
2. Think of the situation as this situation.
3. Think of the situation as that situation.

Repeat steps 2 and 3 several times.

Folks felt that just by doing that they got a sense of separation from the situation and less wallowed in the situation.

Today, I talked to one of the LPGers. He said that he tried the exercise out earlier in the week and felt a relief.

I am glad to hear that.

Even in my "retirement" from IBM, I sometimes feel stressed, primarily because I'm trying to start a web presence (which I hope will turn into a company). There are so many things I have to do and to learn. But using the This and That exercise does help me to stop my self-talks and have another perspective.

For this Friday's LPG, we will continue on Session 2 of Stress Management based on Don't Sweat the Small Stuff."

No comments: