Thursday, September 24, 2009

Dealing with Difficult People

How to deal with difficult people? Don't we wish we had the magic formula to do just that.

How many times have we said to ourselves, "We can do so much better, if only we didn't have to deal with so and so?"

Last LPG we listened to several folk stories about difficult people and we discussed what wisdom we each drew from these stories.

For myself, the wisdom came from the introspective questions raised during our discussions:
"In relationships, am I the difficult person?"
"Am I sometimes being too insistent?"
"Am I not the stubborn one?"
"Am I really being pro-active? Do I seek first to understand?"

Since the LPG meeting, I relearned the lesson of: "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Be a bit more patient, be a bit more open-minded, be a bit more optimistic, have a bit more faith that things will work out.

With that mental adjustment, things have turned out pretty well.

And it has been quite a couple of weeks with a number of delightful "wins"--the latest is an opportunity to work with RCTC to host a China-US Town Hall meeting in December that has potential national visibility.

Tomorrow's LPG meeting, we will continue with How To Deal with Difficult People. Given the results from our last meeting, I can only say ... "Bring it on."

No comments: