Monday, March 1, 2010

Speech Contest

The IBM Toastmaster Club is running a speech contest this Friday. Several LPGers are taking part in it including me.

Speech making no matter how often I have done it still brings up the butterflies in my stomach. Being nervous is human nature. Shawn White talked about how nervous he was before his half-pike snow boarding jump at the Winter Olympics. That is the champion athlete who would win Gold by a wide margin.

Learning to deal with pressure takes practice. When an opportunity to practice presents itself, you go for it. The attitude of LPG is this: it's not so much whether we have to be good at something before we will do it; it's doing something so that we can become good at it.

At LPG for the last couple of sessions we have been talking about Integrity. At its core, it boils down to walking the talk.

TM speech contest gives me an opportunity to "talk" the talk (pun intended). And I will have a chance to practice talking about beyond labeling--a topic I really care about.

Guests are welcome at our TM meeting.

No comments: