Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Habit 7: Sharpening the saw

We can all relate to Covey's story about the man trying to saw down a tree with a dull saw. When asked why he doesn't take a break for a few minutes and sharpen the saw, he said, "I don't have time. I am too busy sawing!"

As I looked back in my years with IBM, there were periods of time I did well in taking time to learn new skills, keep up with technologies and renew my competencies. I am now glad for having done that though there were times it seemed in the busy corporate life even finding time to eat lunch was not easy.

I am glad that I became a Toastmaster and continually work on improving my communication skills. Along the way, I met new friends and became much more confident in making prepared speeches, running meetings, giving impromptu remarks. I also learn to better provide constructive feedback for fellow toastmasters and above all become more comfortable in accepting comments and evaluations from other people. That is say I have become more thick skinned.

For physical well being, I worked out at the gym almost every day for 1/2 hour or so. I have my wife to thank for that. There was a time when I was really a couch potato. I still remembered how tough it was when I first started this daily exercise regiment. I was huffing and puffing and wanted to quit.

For mental relaxation and spiritual growth, I learned to practice Avatar which has been described as western Zen. I have learned to be aware of my thoughts. I am getting better to direct my will and my attention (ie my mind) towards creating experiences that I want. In other words, I am better in doing Covey's habit 1 because I am better at using the gap between stimulus and response.

I also know that like any others habits, Sharpening the Saw is a constant renewal that I must consciously practice or risk falling off the wagon to indifference. This is especially true in my situation as a retiree.

Will I succumb to the easy and mindless life of channel surfing in search of the next Olympics event or will I rise up to the occasion to direct my will, my intention and my attention to grow, to learn and develop skills--to sharpen my saw. And what types of saw should I sharpen in my new act.

I am glad I have LPG to help me make the right choices.

No comments: