Friday, August 8, 2008

8/7/08 My Last Day at IBM

Yesterday was my last day as an active employee of IBM. It was also one of my most fulfilling and action packed days.

In the morning, I attended the second session of the Indian Cultural Class for IBM led by Savita, Parul and a couple of other IBMers who have lived in India. I got to connect more deeply to the common Asian core in which I grew up.

Mid-morning, the IBM Toastmasters Club had its first-ever outdoor meeting at the IBM park. Susan (our TM Sergent at Arms) reminded us to use our outdoor voice for more volume projection so everyone could better hear. And I did.

From the heart with very little prior practice, I gave a speech appropriately called "A New Beginning." I had a few rough edges and spoke for 20 minutes without notes. Essentially, what I wanted to say was that I am going to improve on how to lead my life. (I had been inspired by Prof Randy Pausch's last lecture at CMU. And the words he left behind: "It's not about how you achieve your dreams. It's about how you lead your life.")

Starting from learning to master the self, then feeling and knowing the oneness of all fellow beings, then performing small acts of kindness for others, then showing up and taking actions to value and honor racial, cultural, religious diversities within Rochester, then working on commercial projects that blend east/west traditions--I will embrace all that is good in us. And one deliberate step at a time, I intend to contribute to the creation of an enlightened planetary civilization.

At the end of the speech, my TM friends gave me a standing ovation. I was humbled and gratified. For a brief, wonderful moment, we were indeed one.

That is exactly the act of kindness and encouragement that I needed to start my next life chapter. Isn't it wonderful: The World Is A Reflection of Me.

In the evening, coincidentally, Bill called to invite Donna and me to his house. The idea of having us over came to him quite unplanned. His just felt into it. His brother-in-law from Australia is in town. Since we had met over 10 years ago, why not get together again.

I had to smile at the surprise invitation.

Bill didn't know until I told him at his house that along with giving me the pleasure of seeing his brother-in-law again, he was helping me celebrate my new beginning.

It was a day when all the dots were connected. That's what I call a synergistic day.

No comments: